As an only one child, Monica lived with her parents in Brougham Street Soldiers Hill and was educated by the Loreto Sisters in Dawson Street. Entering the workforce, Monic began teaching at Loreto in Melbourne, then moved to St Aloysius in Ballarat. After some time, she transferred to the Education Department, all the while continuing her singing career.
In 1928, Monica was a foundation member of the Ballarat Music Lovers Club. President in 1938 and treasurer for 47 years, she retired in 1982. In 1930 she won a 12 month scholarship to the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music, but could not accept it due to her obligations to the Victorian Education Department. In 1931, she was placed second (by one point) in the Sun Aria final in Bendigo. In 1939, she was appointed to the singing staff of the Education Department as district supervisor of music. Then once the Ballarat Teachers College re-opened after the war Monica joined the staff lecturing in speech and music until her retirement in 1965.
Monica joined the Ballarat Light Opera Company (BLOC) and in 1971, married widower Jack Rawlings in St. Columba’s Church. Again, Monica’s life took a new turn as she enjoyed family life with Jack, his three children and five grandchildren. Their family home as always available for practice evenings for BLOC members.
Following a move to Nazareth House in 1981, Monica involved herself in music there. She is buried beside her mother in the Ballarat New Cemetery.
Monica Miller – Location, Ballarat New Cemetery, Lawn B, Secton 04, Grave 17. (BCN-LWNB-04-101-17-02)