Martha Clendinning, Location – Ballarat New Cemetery, Church of England D, Section 1, Grave 47. (BCN-COED-01-105-47-48)

Known as the ‘lady who walked to Ballarat’  Martha was present on the Goldfields with her sister.  Both were married and both became prominent members of the Ballarat community during and after the  Eureka Uprising.  Martha and her sister opened a store from their tents to supply the women in the Goldfields with homely comforts.  During the course of business Martha was well known to hold protection in the form of guns in the tent.  During the Uprising Martha was asked to surrender her guns by Alfred Black the Minister of War.  After the Uprising Martha continued her business and founded the ‘Ballarat Female Refuge’ in 1867.  This refuge was established in response to what Martha viewed as a growing issue destitution among women of the Goldfields. This was the first institution of its kind for single mothers on the Goldfields.  Today, Martha’s legacy is ‘Clendinning House’ in Berry Street, Ballarat Central.  This institute continues to assist modern women in crisis.    (Wickham 2009)